- Had a blast working on the game for Ludum Dare 51! If you missed it, check out the YouTube playlist of streams.
- Mesche development is progressing! Working on an implementation of hygenic macros now.
- The Emacs package in Guix now has
--with-native-compilationturned on by default!
- Support the channel! Buy Mastering Emacs with this link https://www.masteringemacs.org/r/systemcrafters
¶Running Pre-Built Linux Software on Guix
Today we’re going to try and get a pre-built program running in Guix! I decided to try this because a new Guix feature just got mentioned on Twitter today:
It seems that Guix containers can now emulate the Linux Standard Base file system layout! This might help get some pre-built apps working without a lot of extra trouble.
Today we’ll experiment with getting Discord running in a Guix container. We’ll try the following to make it work:
- Download and unpack the
.tar.gzbuild of Discord
- Start up a
guix shellcontainer with the new
- Figure out and install all necessary dependencies (if they exist on Guix)
- Patch the binary if libraries aren’t being resolved correctly (hopefully not needed!)
If Discord doesn’t work, we’ll figure out another app to try!
Things we needed to do:
- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/nss
- strace -ff -e trace=file ./Discord
- LD_DEBUG=libs ./Discord
¶The manifest file
Here’s the manifest file we were building to launch Discord:
(specifications->manifest '( ;; Library Dependencies "coreutils" "glib" "gcc:lib" "gtk+" "nss" "nss-certs" "ffmpeg" "alsa-lib" "cups" "atk" ;; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/nss ;; Debugging Tools "glibc" "gdb" "strace" ;; Program Dependencies "gzip" "unzip" "wget"))
And here’s the command we used to execute it:
guix shell --container --emulate-fhs --network --preserve='^DISPLAY$' -m guix.scm