¶System Crafters Store is live!
I’ve been getting requests for merch for a while, that day has finally arrived!
Check out the set of items I’ve put together with the System Crafters logo:
These are all high quality print-on-demand items so shipping can take up to 2 weeks but it’s usually faster than the estimate you get when you buy something.
Please let me know your feedback on everything: items, pricing, shipping costs, etc. I want the community to be proud to wear them!
This is just the first step; I plan to add new designs every 3 months or so, it will only get better from here!
¶We Need to Talk About EXWM
As I’ve mentioned before a few times, EXWM the maintainer ch11ng has been missing for over a year.
- Last commits to EXWM and XELB were in July 2020
- People are concerned: https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/issues/845
- Many lingering issues that people face daily, I’ve been burned frequently
- I even tried StumpWM again!
- Nothing beats EXWM, though.
What can be done about it?
¶Can the project be revived?
- The project is in definite need of help to address pain points
- It seems medranocalvo might be an admin on the repo
- All it would really take is for an individual or small group to learn the code and try fixing things
- FSF copyright assignment approval is a big challenge (can that be abandoned?)
- Many people would be happy and relieved for EXWM to be maintained again
¶Should someone fork EXWM?
- A hard fork with no intention to merge upstream can avoid FSF assignment issues
- Could be an opportunity to rethink some things, redesign the code
- Aside from learning the code, the challenge would be making it enticing (and smooth) to migrate
- This could be the fastest route to a bright new future
¶A new alternative?
If we’re considering a fork, why not think bigger?
- Can we fix some core issues with EXWM while planning for the future?
- Minimal window manager core not written in Emacs Lisp but driven by it via RPC
- Write it either in C or an embedded Scheme (Chibi, perhaps)
- Create an abstract internal model; focus on X Window System and Wayland later
- Make it possible to have a more traditional tiling window manager that is still Emacs-driven
- OMG GAPS
Could be a huge undertaking, but possibly more future-proof!
¶Here’s what I’ll do
Solving this problem is important to me! I can’t live without my Emacs Desktop Environment.
- I’m going to start investigating all possibilities in my (limited) free time
- Great opportunity to stream the work on Twitch: https://twitch.tv/SystemCrafters
- Start building a knowledgebase of how window management works with Xorg
- Investigate various technical options, live coding regularly
- As soon as a good direction is determined, get community involvement
For stream schedule: Mondays or Wednesdays? Tentatively 8am-10am Pacific Time.
¶What do you think?
- EmacsConf CFP
- Vieb browser
- Luakit browser
- Fennel language
- One Sword game
- Installing Emacs on Windows 10
- emacs-sidecar-locals - or
- Taking a look at GNU Hurd
- Even Further Refinements of Org Roam Usage
- Prot system failure (Paypal)
Check out Emacs News!