- I’ll be shutting down the System Crafters Store next week (it will be back!)
- Slackware 15 released: http://www.slackware.com/announce/15.0.php
¶I’d love your opinion!
I’m interested to try and publish a eBook on a topic that you all would find valuable, something related to what we talk about on this channel.
What would you be interested to read about in an eBook?
- Workflow / productivity
- Building “crafting” skills
¶Using the Customize UI to Build an Emacs Configuration
Mickey Petersen of Mastering Emacs fame wrote a blog post recently titled “Bad Emacs Advice”:
Today we’re going to experiment with
M-x customize and see if we how much of Emacs we can configure using the UI alone!
We’ll start from a blank configuration and build up from there.
We’ll also take a look at the resulting configuration file to see what it contains!
- Set theme and font
- Add hooks to configure modes
- Tweak some Org Mode settings
- Set up the tab bar
- Customizing the mode line
- Install and set up evil-mode
- Install and configure community packages like Vertico and Marginalia
- Test that the configuration can successfully initialize a new Emacs install
- Customize system can write out your init.el file to be loaded again on future sessions
- You can add custom elisp inside of the file
- You can move the generated customization code into another file by setting the
custom-filevariable, just make sure to call
loadon that file!
- Not sure how to load a package by default so that it gets activated correctly (i.e. Vertico)
¶The final configuration
(setq custom-file (expand-file-name (concat user-emacs-directory "custom.el"))) (load custom-file) (message "Config is loaded!")
(custom-set-variables ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom. ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful. ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance. ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right. '(after-save-hook '(rmail-after-save-hook cvs-mark-buffer-changed (lambda nil (message "You saved!")))) '(custom-enabled-themes '(modus-vivendi)) '(custom-theme-directory "~/.config/emacs/") '(display-time-mode t) '(evil-mode t) '(marginalia-mode t) '(modus-themes-bold-constructs t) '(modus-themes-completions 'opinionated) '(modus-themes-headings '((1 background))) '(org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "NOWAY" "|" "MAYBE" "DONE"))) '(package-selected-packages '(embark evil marginalia vertico)) '(tab-bar-close-button-show 'selected) '(tab-bar-format '(tab-bar-format-history tab-bar-format-tabs tab-bar-separator tab-bar-format-add-tab tab-bar-format-align-right tab-bar-format-global)) '(tab-bar-mode t) '(tab-width 3) '(vertico-count 7) '(vertico-cycle t) '(vertico-grid-mode nil) '(vertico-mode t)) (custom-set-faces ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom. ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful. ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance. ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right. '(default ((t (:inherit nil :extend nil :stipple nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 200 :width normal :foundry "PfEd" :family "JetBrains Mono")))) '(tab-bar ((t (:inherit nil :background "RoyalBlue1")))) '(tab-bar-tab ((t (:inherit bold :background "sky blue" :box (:line-width (2 . 2) :color "#0e0e0e"))))))